you are here » research » programs
Molecular mechanisms of cancer and ageing
Pier Giuseppe Pelicci
c/o IFOM-IEO Campus
Via Adamello, 16 - 20139 Milan, Italy
Tel. +39 02 57489868, Fax. +39 02 94375991
Laboratory AchievementsOur lab has made, in the past, original and seminal contributions to the understanding of the molecular basis of:
- i) leukemias (i.e. identification and functional characterization of the PML-RAR and mutated-NPM oncogenes; definition of the molecular basis of targeted treatment with retinoic acid and HDAC inhibitors);
- ii) ageing in mammals (i.e. identification and functional characterization of the Shc family of signaling proteins; characterization of the red-ox properties and effects on life span of the p66shc splice variant).
Laboratory Research ProjectsWe are currently continuing to pursue our two main lines of research, focusing on:
- The characterization of the CSC-specific properties of self renewal and differentiation, and their underlying molecular mechanisms, using mouse models of human leukemias and mammary cancer. In particular, we are exploring:
- the role of quiescent and proliferating CSCs in tumor growth,
- mechanisms of tumor progression from pre-tumoral SCs,
- molecular determinants of environmental cancer risk
- The characterization of the physiological significance of the p66Shc signaling pathway, with particular emphasis on metabolism, apoptosis and the adipose tissue.
update: April 2010